I'm sure the Web will be inundated with this, but it's something I didn't know until today, Aug. 1.
It's the 10th anniversary of blogging. Rah, rah, etc. Hip-hip hooray and all that.
Let's give all bloggers the birthday bumps. Alert the media. Stop the presses. Let's get it on CNN, Entertainment Tonight. No, wait! We're not stars! We're just ordinary people! Oh, OK. Forget it then.
Yada, yada, yada.
I am excited about this, actually, but only on a personal level.
I don't much are about the World Wide Web's main features, although they are useful.
I tend to avoid the dribs and drabs and crapola that get 220,000 results when you Google them, although you might want to check out this Wall Street Journal piece:
All that blogging means to me is my exchanges with people like Homo Escapeons, Laurie, Keshi, Dinahmow, Aidan, Stace, Ziggi, Cherrypie, Pam, Gautami, Andrea, MJ, Bibi, Anna, Divian, Clare, Lee, Angel, Hildegarde, Shelly, Menchie and others.
And this element of blogging -- which to me is what blogging is all about, the mostly warm, engaging exchange of ideas and lives -- was sadly lacking in one Canadian Broadcasting Corporation report I saw today.
What they talked about was the 10 per cent of famous people who blog and who want to connect with their public and the other 90 per cent, they said, who blog more or less just for their families and friends.
Almost as a replacement for emails, one analyst described it as. What a doink.
Later in the report, there was a reference to those people who blog just to get news on the Internet...news of an earthquake they felt, or news of a massive fire they witnessed, whatever.
There was no mention at all of people like us...
...People who blog just to get their own thoughts and feelings and lives out on the Web, who seek out exchanges with other people from the planet in an open, caring way, who develop relationships the UN can only dream about.
The mass media, really, seems not to have a clue about what blogging's REALLY all about.
They can't acknowledge that for some people, they and what they report on and how they report it are so inconsequential.
They don't get it. But we do. And they're ignoring us.