The Family (Or most of them)

The Family (Or most of them)
The Family

August 24, 2006

PLUTO TAKES A PLUNGE


THE ASTRONOMERS MUST HAVE DECIDED NOT TO GIVE IN TO THEIR SOMEWHAT LESS SCIENTIFIC FRIENDS IN THE ASTROLOGY LOBBY.

EITHER THAT, OR THEY'RE ALL BEING PAID OFF BY THE SCHOOL BOOK PUBLISHING INDUSTRY, WHICH WILL NOW BE REPUBLISHING SCIENCE BOOKS TO REFLECT THE NEW REALITY.

PLUTO IS NO LONGER A PLANET! GASP! (See one story below)

ALL THOSE PLANETARY PERSONALITY PEOPLE PRESUMABLY WILL NO LONGER BE ABLE TO TELL CLIENTS "MARS IS INTERSECTING WITH THE PLANET PLUTO" AND THAT'S WHY YOUR LIFE IS FALLING APART.

Or whatever it is astrologers say to people who insist on believing their lives are governed by celestial bodies of rock that are millions of miles away.

Personally, I am crushed. Like millions of other people -- nay, billions -- I was educated to believe there were nine planets and that poor old Pluto was the dinky little one on the outer edges.

The Li'l Guy Who Could, like Thomas the train engine or whatever he's called, or Tugboat Willy.

But now the astronomers, wary of fabricating other orbs into planets and increasing the # to 12, have opted to plunk our beloved Pluto into Planetary Purgatory.

Oh, the pain. Now the astrologers will come up with some clever solution, no doubt, to their conundrum. The publishers would have prevailed, I suppose, no matter what. One less or three more.

What do you think? Should we start a worldwide PLUTO'S A PLANET campaign to preserve the Cold, Old, Poop? Or just accept that these guys are the Lords of the Galaxy and be done with it?

The story (edited a bit), from the Miami Herald:

BYE-BYE LITTLE PLUTO.

As anticipated last week, textbooks will have to be rewritten, but in an entirely different way than expected: Now, suddenly, there are only eight real, full-fledged planets -- and Pluto has been booted out of the club.

The world's leading astronomers ended a week of scientific controversy by deciding Thursday to demote Pluto to a new -- and soon to be crowded -- category called ``dwarf planets.''

The celestial survivors now are called ''classical planets.'' Starting with the closest to the sun, they are: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.

''Think of it as an amicable divorce or as giving up a daughter in marriage,'' Jack Horkheimer, director of the Space Transit Planetarium at the Miami Science Museum, said of Pluto.

``It's still the same partner or daughter, but the name is going to change.''

It's been quite the ride recently for Pluto and its supporters and detractors -- and for innocent bystanders.

Last week, a committee of the International Astronomical Union, which is meeting in Prague and has control over these things, recommended that Pluto retain its planetary status and that three other celestial bodies be added to the list -- for a total of 12 planets.

But the astronomers ultimately decided Thursday that last week's recommendation was too broad and accommodating.

''It was basically that anything round was a planet, and that immediately gives us 53 planets in the solar system, with the possibility of hundreds in the future,'' one said. ``Planets have the connotation of being special to us and 200 are not special.''

Now, a genuine planet has to be round, has to orbit the sun and ``has cleared the neighborhood around its orbit.''

The final part of the definition ruled out Pluto because it is one of 70,000 icy objects in the Kuiper Belt, making for a rather cluttered neighborhood way out there on the fringes of the solar system.

Naturally, the decision disappointed advocates of the plucky little, er, non-planet that was discovered by Clyde Tombaugh on Feb. 18, 1930 -- a favorite of many budding young astronomers.

Children bond with Pluto because it is -- was -- the smallest planet, the farthest from the sun and the only one with a Walt Disney character named after it, said one physicist.

Other admirers tried to make the best of it.

''The classification doesn't matter,'' said Louis Friedman, executive director of The Planetary Society, which lobbied for a robotic NASA mission to Pluto that was launched earlier this year.

``Pluto and all solar system objects are mysterious and exciting new worlds that need to be explored and better understood.''

Under the new celestial lineup, two objects that last week seemed headed for the planetary first team -- an asteroid called Ceres and Brown's 2003 UB313/Xena -- become the first of many bodies to join Pluto as dwarf planets.

One astronomer said he understood the cultural importance of Pluto and the long-held conviction that our solar system contains nine planets, but science always evolves and must travel where the facts lead.

''Scientifically, there is no question that this is the right way to go,'' he said. ``If the astronomers can stick to their guns, the culture will come around."

16 comments:

  1. Does this mean that I have to get my visa renewed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh shucks, its just a hype...nothing much...no difference made. The new textbooks would now say " we have 8 planets in the solar system. And oh...we have an ex-planet called pluto which is now a dwarf planet". hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh! I think I just showed my ass over at HE's place ... closed by bitchin' a little about coming to visit in hopes of a little spacial debate and missin' Pluto ....

    Guess you two blokes are too damned connected for me - can't keep you two straight.

    Apologies for the flub, and ass bearin' to both you and HE

    As to givin' me the demotion rant I was lookin' and hopin' for....

    THANKS

    I too am crushed. Now I will have to redo my revered 5th grade science project on display above my parent's mantel!

    Aiiiiii

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought he was a dog - I 'spect he's been caught smoking so has to be 'redone' so little minds won't be corrupted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Vicus, it appears that will be one of the unfortunate -- if so far overlooked -- results of this manoeuvre.

    Ghost:
    I disagree. Surely there will have to be some larger explanation that well, there used to be 9, but then there were 12, but then they decided, no, let's make it 8. These guys are worse than politicians (OK, maybe not).

    LW:
    Well, now I am crushed. However, I can understand the confusion, HE and I are connected at the hip -- almost.

    An aside...

    Two people who apparently AREN'T connected at the hip and whom I don't know are having a huge domestic dispute right outside my window...

    No need for the ass-bearing. Good luck with the redo on the Grade 5 science project, without Pluto.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doh! Sorry, Ziggi, didn't see you hoverin' there on yur broom.

    Yes, I wonder what Disney will do with Pluto the Dog now...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually luv, there's no reason for you to feel crushed as the ass was beared to HE, and the love was beared to you luv

    See ... I was there, thinking I was here, not cuz there looks like here, but here was I really wanted to be ... See?

    An' as the view you can see out your window ... Do tell! Sounds a much better view than what I see outside my office window!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course it isn't a planet. It's a big Disney dog. I thought everyone knew that.

    Oh! I see they do. That'll teach me to start commenting before reading what others have to say

    ReplyDelete
  9. poor little thing... and to add insult to injury pluto's now sharing its new classification with one of its own moons!

    AND- now they're going to have to make up new rhymes for kids to remember the planets order...

    i always learned this one: My Vervet Monkey Jumped Straight Under Nine Planets
    so now what... My Vervet Monkey Jumped Straight Under Nine...?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could give a rat's ass-tronomy about Pluto I want to know about the domestic outside your window..
    do tell...

    ReplyDelete
  11. LW:

    I thought you were baring your ass to both of us. No need to play favourites now.

    And what are you doing blogging while you're at the office anyway?

    Cherry:

    It's OK, we understand.

    But one thing I never understood with Disney was how one dog -- Pluto -- was just a dog while another canine -- Goofy -- could talk and walk on its hind legs.

    I'll have to research this...

    Angel:

    I'd write a letter to the Royal Society of Astronomical Education and Kids' Rhymes.

    Hey, Heavy E...

    The domestic outside my window went on and on (I was like Mrs. Cravets looking out the window constantly to make sure the guy wasn't about to beat the woman).

    Evan and I walked right past them to my car to get his glasses fixed. When we came back, these two were nowhere to be found.

    Hopefully it all turned out OK...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, it's confirmed. The IAU rejected Pluto because it wasn't white enough or WASP enough. Jeez, now they're redlining the solar system

    Pluto should cop the attitude of Groucho Marx, who said he wouldn't join a country club that would have him as a member.

    The more I read about this, the more I think about how little science and how much goofy committee-thought is involved in this, not to mention how meanignful it will be when that big planet-killing asteroid finally comes rolling through.
    I guess then we'll save ourselves with another committee decalring that we're not a planet either, resulting in a celestial Bugs Bunny/Daffy Duck cartoon where we keep telling the asteroid that it's Pluto season and Pluto declaring it's Earth season.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fronty:

    That's a fantastic piece of rationale you're using there with the committee idea, but I buy into it.

    I would add however that my hero, Marvin the Martian, would probably need to be involved along with Daffy and Bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The point is I just finished teaching my students about the Universe. Where do I go from there? Now I tell them, forget pluto, forget pluto!

    From nine to twelve to err...eight!

    (yes, I teach science too!!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're right WW: Marvin would probably be riding the death asteroid, muttering; "Oh darn, now what did that rabbit and duck do with my XQ-46 space modulator?"

    Gautami: Look at this as your big chance to become a social Galileo or Kepler . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous4:30 p.m.

    I made adventures about visiting spiritual space. I designed some space maps using the local stars and any planetary images and shared the maps... Imagine driving to work using a star map and trying to figure out where things are based on star locations... like the star on the star market or on that church or the lights a red green yellow glowing combination..

    It made a cool adventure.

    I was looking for a space modulator solution to help some children learn to not bully each other. Some of them need some advanced tutoring. I was looking at the Movie with the Martians that stopped the nuclear explosion... I encourage them to die to sin not cause anyone to be dead.

    We sometimes have guests who dont know their way. They are warned not to enter the temple it is loaded with educational arrays... sometimes they get a foothold... that is before we open the really cool educational stuff up.

    I wrote really nice love letters more than 1000 covering even this very day. I hope that they might find some and be inspired in love.

    We now return you to how to not blow up the universe channel... think about it sometime where are you gonna live... some of these little puddle jumpers jump in and out of some interesting stuff...

    Baby sitting... best times... cool stuff to solve... Puddle jumper! you must not use the dark poot to take the pebble!!!! puddle jumper!!!!!

    With tender love I try again
    David Alexander Wright in love

    ReplyDelete

If you choose to use anonymous to comment, it is only fair that I reserve the right to obliterate your comment from my blog.