The Family (Or most of them)

The Family (Or most of them)
The Family

July 21, 2006

DOILIES & PANTIES -- words of wonder

THERE are a great many things in the world that men simply don't understand, that they can't comprehend, and in fact a multitude of women's words they can barely utter.

After spending the remainder of my entire second week of vacation blogging about silly things like baboons, gonads hanging from trucks and getting drunk on Lake Erie, I am being entirely serious...

When I focus on today's womanly words, doilies and panties. After all, this is Saturday and no one will read this. And I can't get either of these two words out of my head, now that I somehow thought of them.

Let's start with doilies. Doilies, males are led to believe, are decorative things made of fabric that are placed by women upon fine furniture, obstensibly to add their unique features to a home's design.

Their apparent purpose (we did NOT Google this) is to act as protective yet appealing "things" on tables and the like in contemporary living rooms and to save the finish on furniture.

However, males will undoubtedly find that they are never used for anything, really. They just sit there. If you try to put a beer on them, you are scolded. Coffee, same thing. Bowl of peanuts, ditto.

They are a true mystery of femininity. Their sole purpose seems to be to look good and to stop dust from forming underneath them while it continues to accumulate on the rest of the table.

Following are several examples of doilies (ewww), although for the uninitiated, it's important to point out they're kind of like snowflakes.

We couldn't document this, but each one is completely different and allegedly created individually by old ladies in factories on the outskirts of big cities across the planet.




I have no idea where the cute pink one I had downloaded went, it was supposed to be here. Nonetheless, you get the point. (Not the point of the blog, the point about what doilies actually look like).

I have had a life-long aversion to doilies, or at least the word.

and I have absorbed much female teasing about the fact that I find the word "doilies" impossible to say, much less write about. If any doily experts out there would like to comment, feel free to enlighten me. Just don't use the word "doilies."

***********************************************

Now on to my next feminine word -- and I am limiting myself to only two today -- and that is the word, "panties." Note how, like the word "doilies," it ends in the letters, "ies," which appears to be a prerequisite for women's words.

I do not propose to deal here with any derivatives, descendants or forerunners of what is commonly described in Britain or elsewhere as "women's underpants." Newer forms, such as thongs, will be covered in a future post.

No, I need and want to deal with the word "panties." (Erk). And having grown up with three sisters who left them lying around all over the house in our formative years, this is a difficult experience.

I can accept that women, like men, wear underwear. We call ours, strangely, underwear. Or shorts. Or gauche. Or briefs. (add your description here). Women call theirs "panties."

Why? Of course we have different things going on down there and a few parts which are not quite the same, which I don't have to get into now. But look at the examples below. Why are they so different?


So as to be completely gender-neutral and with sexual orientation equality in mind, you will note that the picture on the right is of a male, in fact, wearing what appear to be "panties."

Believe me, I think there is a genuine need to have women's underthingies be more lacy and sexy and (this part deleted) than men's. But it's the word I can't utter, the thing where I stutter.

25 comments:

  1. Rather interesting post! "Lekker" is an Afrikaans slang word for nice,fun, cool - So what I said was have a nice weekend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, NMOTB!! I am having a Lekker weekend and appreciate you letting me in on Afrikaans slang!

    Do they have doilies in South Africa? I KNOW they have panties...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I have a solution to your dilemma, and all it involves is a second of fake Brooklyn accent:

    da oilies (da-oy-lees)- those oil- and solvent-soaked red rags found in most North American garages and which, despite repeated launderings in scalding hot water and industrial-grade detergent, still smell as flammable as the inside of a tanker truck. They also come in handy as mechanics' handkerchiefs and polishing rags.

    And, in an instanst, they can be fashioned into pickup trucks' scroti.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But could they also serve as panties?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some safety wire and 30 weight . . . . yeah, they could.

    ReplyDelete
  8. By the way, I insinuated myself into your world by linking your blog - hope you didn't mind.

    And about that 'nutcase journalist' thing: speaking as a reporter and editor myself, please stop being redundant. I haven't met a sane journalist in 15 years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey FE, nice to know you have a keen ability to "freelance" by solving such weighty issues.

    Thanks for linking to my blog. I noted you were a journalist and wondered if we might hook up.

    I have also linked to you, so now we're irreversibly joined as ink-stained wretches.

    When will we team up on our first best-seller?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I do have this concept involving embryonic research and personal music players called "The Egg and iPod"

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a little too high-tech and current for my tiny brain.

    I was thinking, given your lust for Blazing Saddles, something like Farts and Fears on the Great Frontier.

    Let's talk to our agents and have lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good point - maybe a revisionist history of American civil rights?

    "Are You Crazy? That Man's a Ni!"

    ReplyDelete
  13. What? Americans have civil rights?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Occasionally we do, such as the right to remain silent, the right to an attorney or to have an incompetent, overworked one appointed for us if we can't afford one, the right to have a light left on in our jail cell while we're trying to sleep . . . . you get the message.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So basically the same as Canada then...only in one official language and in warmer weather.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, it might be better here if we got to sing Alouette while in solitary

    ReplyDelete
  17. Okay. W/W, the exchange you and nmotb were having had me sniggering. Kept thinking about you revealing a queer new hobbie - chewing on doilies & panties... But this may also because you're recent obsessions have given my thinking a bit of bent - That and because 'lekker' in Nederlands, aka Dutch (my other tongue) means 'tasty'.

    On another equally queer and quasi related thought - this post had me remembering a fine and accomidating lover.

    He would don my laciest panties and prance about, dancing for my sick little amusement, in my living room - which is decorated with little more than assorted handmade lace doilies framed and mounted to the walls.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, LW, I appear to have inadvertently hit a hot spot of sorts with your past and present.

    So now I know what Lekker means both in Afrikaans and Dutch...and I apparently have a new hobby too.

    Don't remember saying I chewed on panties or doilies, and if so, only figuratively, I figure...

    Even Lekker ones...

    If I seemed "obsessed", well let's just say it's been an interesting couple of weeks.

    But if it's got you to thinking about panties and prancin' and doilies hangin' on your own walls, well, go crazy.

    Does seem almost surreal...and it all started so innocently with two words that I've always giggled about and my sisters always teased me about.

    Who'd a' thunk it...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Panties for men = Manties.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Guess I shoulda known...

    This post now has a life of its own.

    ReplyDelete
  21. thats a male? OMG!

    Keshi.

    ReplyDelete
  22. i hate doilies. my mother had large ones that she tucked over the seat cushions of our couch. EVERY SINGLE TIME we got up from sitting on it, we had to turn around and pull it taught. it was never taught enough. it was absurd. ridiculous and i'm still yammerin on about it decades later.
    thanks mom!

    i'm a woman, by the way, just so you know. one of us out there, hates doilies.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Keshi:

    Yup, sure is, I think playing cricket or something, which you Aussies know a lot more about.

    JRomer:
    Welcome, and thanks for exploding the myth! I've seen you around on Homo Escapeons and other blogs.

    Glad to know there's at least ONE female out there who understands my plight.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous6:07 a.m.

    I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! Wifi internet service provider virginia Loves gangbangs Lcd tv with pc input

    ReplyDelete

If you choose to use anonymous to comment, it is only fair that I reserve the right to obliterate your comment from my blog.