The Family (Or most of them)

The Family (Or most of them)
The Family

February 13, 2010

Another sport death

I covered Winter Olympic in Calgary 1988 and Salt Lake City in I think it was 2004 or so. It is tragic, obviously, the death of the Russian luger. At that speed, he would barely have known what hit him. Seriously. Try watching it.
I think THIS (below) is a pic of him. Apologies if it isn't.


If I'm NOT mistaken, he comes from the same state in Russia (Georgia) that a Russian diver who also died in competition did. He also died in Canada, competing at the World University Games in Edmonton, Alberta, in 1983.





We know it had to happen some time. I was covering the diving competition then, when Amerivan Greg Louganis won. It still seems so surreal.

8 comments:

  1. It is tragic and horrible that he passed away like that. I feel for his family and his friends...so young, taken too soon.

    You're right. Every sport carries a risk. And I'm watching the Olympics right now, wondering if the lugers will play it safe and go slow. I don't think any records will be set tonight, in light of the sad events.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:25 p.m.

    Again, feel free to obliterate...

    It was an awful way to start off the Olympics. The snowboarder coming through the rings though was cool.

    Didn't Greg Louganis hit his head on the edge of the diving board at a competition — I remember all the blood in the water and was sure it was him. I believe he survived. Not sure if it was the Olympics; I think it was the world championships (possibly in Moscow).

    I'm an Olympic geek — Salt Lake was 2002 and Athens was 2004.

    Goofy Anon

    ReplyDelete
  3. EroSwings:

    And they're right back at it. What do they say? Oh, yeah. The Games must go on.

    Anonymous: Yeah, Whatever. You will hide behind that stupid Anon thing, and I can't be bothered, so go ahead. You'll drive me from blogdom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:30 a.m.

    FYI: the man who died was Sergei CHalibashvili of Russia. It was not the Olympics but at the '83 World University Games in Canada. He died in hospital after a week-long coma. He was attempting a dive that he was not yet able to execute.

    That photo of the athelete you have up there in orange is not Nodar. May his family find the strength to heal from this tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anon: Thank you for righting some wrongs and providing MORE info. It says in the blog that it was the world university Games in Edmonton.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That last pic is Heath Ledger... right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always find it heartsore when a sportsman is killed doing the thing he has trained so hard to do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anna: I didn't know you had come here! No, as far as I know, it's the Olympian.

    Angel: Ain't that the truth!

    ReplyDelete

If you choose to use anonymous to comment, it is only fair that I reserve the right to obliterate your comment from my blog.